Whatever the outcome of your consultation with a doctor, it is important that you learn as much about your situation as you can. Through better understanding of your diagnosis, you will feel more control of your situation. The following questions may be helpful to ask during your appointment:
- What is the diagnosis and what are the implications?
- If treatment is needed, what are the available options?
- What treatment do they recommend, and why?
- What are the chances of successful treatment?
- If treatment is successful, what is the probability of the problem recurring?
- How often should a check-up be scheduled?
- What type of follow up is required?
- Are any lifestyle changes needed? If so, what are they?
- What kind of psychological support is available?
Remember, it is always okay to ask your doctor to repeat or clarify something they have said so that you can better understand it. Also, consider if you would like to bring a family member or friend to the appointment with you.